Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Interview with Grace Park

The MediaBlvd interview with Grace Park has been posted. I would have posted this sooner, but several things distracted my attention: E3, migrating my computers to Linux, and other real life boring issues. The full interview is worth a read, but unfortunately she dispels very little about the new Caprica series that was not already posted in the preview a few days ago. I have quoted the relevant passages below.

MB: It sounds pretty cool. So I guess the big news this week, out from Battlestar Galactica is about the prequel - the spin-off, Caprica. Have you heard much buzz about that?

GP: I know, I just heard that today, too, from my manager. He said that was in Variety. And Trish Helfin, who plays Number Six, she just sent out an email that she heard from her husband, and it was like, "How the hell do we not know this?" It was a total surprise to me. There was no, "Just so you guys know, we are thinking about doing this, we don't know when it's going to come out." None of that. Not a hint. I was like, "Are they really going to do this? How do I feel about this? Why don't we have any say, or why don't we at least know about it?" So that was very strange.

MB: So how do you feel about it?

GP: Well, one of the things I was wondering is, if it was kind of cheesy to do that already? I thought maybe it was a bit soon or didn't really know how that would fare. But if it's David and Ron doing it again, I know the quality will be really good. I'm actually really curious, and I want to know. . . like, are the Cylons already in that part? Probably not, and I'm actually really curious who they're going to use for casting, if they're going to use any of the same characters. Actually they can't because it's 50 years ago, right? Or fifty years before. I'm really curious to see what they're going to do with it. Lots of times, because the show is so good, sometimes when you hear something really drastic is going to happen - like we had the one year jump ahead in the future, or something like that at the end of Season 2 - there's a lot of raised eyebrows, hesitation, and a lot of doubt. There definitely had to be some script things that were worked around, but it ended up fantastic. And that's kind of making me go, whoa, whoa, whoa, what are they going to do with it. I'm actually really curious to see how it goes.

MB: That's really interesting. I know it had been on the news or anywhere that it was in the works, then yesterday the announcements just started coming out and were picked up everywhere.

GP: It was yesterday? Weird. . . I'm only going to end up feeling not happy if the prequel ends up doing way better than our show. I'll be like, "Wait a second - are you allowed to do that?" If it's better than our show, I guess we'll be riding their coat tails.


I remember watching the mini back when it debuted and thinking she was the weakest link in the acting chain. Grace has really honed in on her talents over the past few years, going far beyond my inital expectations of her acting. While the interview contains mostly information about the Battlestar Galactica series I truly recommend giving it a look-see. The folks at MediaBlvd and bsg-tns.com collectively are one of the best news sources regarding the subject matter. More to report as it come in!

Labels: ,


Posted by Smitty at 7:42 PM - 0 comments